Monday, February 11, 2013

"A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis Chapter One


 I'm a huge fan of author C.S. Lewis, because he is such a deep thinker and writer when it comes to Christianity. I was debating on which one of his books to read. I was caught between reading The Screwtape Letters or A Grief Observed.  I decided to read A Grief Observed because instead of a story about characters who are more fictious but have a meaning behind them,such as The Lion,The Witch, and The Wardrobe, or The Screwtape Letters, this deals with C.S. Lewis's doubts and struggles as a Christian during after the death of his wife.
    Since the book isn't too long, just about every post will be about the chapter I read.  To give a brief summary about the book, it is about a reflextion from author C.S. Lewis on his process of grieving over the loss of his wife and questions God in his grieving process.  She died of cancer after only been married to her for 3 years.  Lewis starts out by saying "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.  I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid.  The same fluttering the in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing".  These first sentences gave me a visual of him either sitting in the bed alone and depressed and doubting God's faithfulness in his life.  This trust he once had in God has seemed to be the last thing on his mind. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose my husband and i'm sure I could relate as being a Christian myself.  Life happens and life isn't always easy and I believe we aren't going to be on earth for an eternity, so all these pains and heartache in life is only temporary as a Christian.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment